Monday, March 3, 2014

What I Want to be When I Grow Up, Take Two

About a million years ago, I decided to be a teacher.  The year was actually about 1981, just after second grade.  My teacher made such a wonderful impression on me that I decided to follow in her footsteps.

Fast forward about 15 years and I was realizing my dream and teaching 4th grade.  I taught for two years and then soon after we began our family, and I was able to achieve my second career goal - stay-at- home mommy.

Fast forward about 14 years.  (Wow - I am covering A LOT of time here.  How am I this old??)  Starting next year, all my children will be in school full time (boo hoo, sniff sniff) and I feel I should look into some sort of part time employment.  But what to do, what to do?

So I have been considering options that would work for our family, and exploring my interests:

Teaching - Part time teaching could work great.  Or subbing.  I have done some subbing this year and enjoy it.  I could broaden my availability and have lots of flexibility, while using my degree.

Writing:  I have discovered, mostly through this blog, that I love writing.  I have investigated writing options and am finding myself afraid to take the plunge.  I cannot explain why.  Don't make me try.

Shopping:  I adore shopping and feel I could be quite the errand-runner for busy professionals.  But I don't know much about how to make that happen.

Music:  I love singing and music and theater.  Not too many options there, though, I'm afraid.


After 14 years out of the work force, heading back in sounds daunting, I'm not gonna lie.  Finding a balance between keeping the ship afloat at home and working will be no small feat.  And I must admit, I would like to jump into the perfect job right out of the gate, which is probably too high an expectation.  So, dear readers, any suggestions?



3 comments:

Sweetpea Academy said...

My vote would be some sort if writing. You are truly gifted. However, I am positive you would be a fabulous teacher as well.

Sweetpea Academy said...

My vote would be some sort if writing. You are truly gifted. However, I am positive you would be a fabulous teacher as well.

mammamilk said...

Oh thanks, Kelli! I don't how gifted I am, but I do enjoy it!