Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Cue the Waterworks

I have not yet seen the Disney movie Frozen.   I know, I know.  I might be the only one with young children not to have seen it yet.  My whole family saw it over Thanksgiving, but my little K was vomiting that day, so she and I stayed home.  I vowed to take her some afternoon (she was too sick to care at the time), but alas, it is March 12, and we have yet to go.

However, due to Pandora and youtube and my oldest daughter, I know all the songs, and so does little K.  She sings "Do you Want to Build a Snowman" so often that I finally asked my teenage daughter to explain what it was about.

Big mistake.

Sisters that are separated!  A little sister who doesn't understand why her big sister doesn't answer her!  Parents that die!  Ohmygosh!!  I can't handle that kind of trauma.  I was weepy just listening to the lyrics while she explained it.

So today, we are all home due to a lovely Midwestern snowstorm in March.  I was upstairs putting laundry away, listening to the Disney Pandora station...and this song came on.  My little daughter was playing on my bed and immediately starting singing all the words in her precious four year old voice.

And I FELL APART.  As in, big, ugly cry.

"I never see you anymore. . .we used to be best buddies, and now we're not. . ."

Whimper, sob.  Scrunched up face - even now as I write the lyrics!  A little sister desperate to see her big sister and not understanding why she won't come out anymore. . .

Musical interlude, during which my little daughter informs me matter-of-factly, that the parents get on a ship and die in the water.

I walk into the bathroom to bawl on my own, so as not to traumatize K, who probably already thinks I've lost my mind (do you agree, dear reader?).

 I come out to hear these lyrics:  "They say 'have courage' and I'm trying to, I'm right out here for you, just let me in! We only have each other, it's just you and me.  What are we gonna do?   Do you wanna build a snowman?"

Their parents are dead, one sister is locked up in a room, the other sister doesn't understand why, they're both lonely and sad and makeitstop!  I can't take it!

I thought I wanted to see this movie, but I'm not sure it is a good idea!  Public humiliation will almost certainly result in the theaters - best wait till it comes out on video (Tuesday) and I can only blubber in front of my children, some of whom will think I am crazy and others of whom will cuddle up next to me and try to soothe their crazy mamma.

Deep breaths.  The tears I have shed while writing this post have (mostly) dried up and I think I will be able to carry on the rest of the day.  And my son's version of this song makes me smile and cheers me up a bit:

"We only have each other, it's just you and me.  What are we gonna POOOOOO?"



No comments: