Monday, February 11, 2013

You spin me right round, baby!

This morning I went to a spinning class at the Y.  For one hour, I pedaled my little heart out.  This may not sound like a big deal to you, but to me it was an accomplishment.  I have a love/hate relationship with working out, and by that I mean I love to hate it.  

I have belonged to the Y several times over the years, with mixed results.  Two times I have tried to attend classes regularly, only to have the children cry miserably whenever I left them there (and once one of the kids was bitten!).  SO!  I thought to myself those many years ago - I guess it's not meant to be!  The kids hate it!  I can't keep coming and traumatizing the children!  Must quit - too bad!

Another time I began attending, only to get pregnant and experience horrible morning (all day, of course) sickness.  Must quit again!  And also because pregnancy means a free ticket to eat whatever I want.  Shoot!  Working out just isn't going to work out for me!  Bummer!

This time, I carefully thought it through before signing on the dotted line.  I took sweet little K to the playroom to try it out.  She loved it so much she begged to stay.  I tried out the treadmill one day and a class today.  Both were good.  Perhaps the time has come when I can actually work out and maybe, just maybe, I will stick with it.  I'll keep ya posted.

A few times I thought my legs were going to collapse under me and I was going to cause a scene and embarrass myself (and my dear husband, who went to the class with me for moral support).  Miraculously they did not, and I persevered.  My butt, however, is in some serious pain.  I hear that will subside over time.  I sincerely hope so.

As I was spinning all those miles (because I must have ridden super far in an hour, right??), I recalled the last time I had ridden a bike such a distance.  Colorado, in the bike ride of (near) death.  While my legs were quite jelly-like today, nothing compares to that ride.  Score!

No comments: