Monday, February 4, 2013

A little back and forth

Last Friday, someone pulled the fire alarm at our kids' school.  It was right at the end of the day, and it was the Big News as all the kids piled into the van at carline.  The kids knew who did it and were full of information, laughing about the craziness of it all.

Later that afternoon, I was discussing the situation with my son, just reiterating the importance of never touching the bright and shiny red handle, right at his eye level.  He agreed that he should never touch it, then embarked on this internal dialogue:

"I didn't pull it, right?"

"No, I didn't pull it!"  Big smile, head tipped to the side.

"No, I didn't pull it. . ."

The child did not pull the fire alarm.  But he is so eager to do the right thing that he second guesses himself all the time - to the point of having to remind himself that he was, in fact, innocent in this situation.  His impulse control does need some tweaking, no doubt about it.  But he really wants to be good.  

I love this kid!

No comments: