Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dermatology gone awry

I was at the dermatologist's office a few weeks ago for a yearly skin check (when you have a complexion like mine, you can't be too careful). I had left the children with my husband, and while a doctor's visit isn't exactly my ideal on-my-own adventure, I was, nonetheless, alone. I was looking forward to sitting in the waiting room reading some trashy magazine like People. I got checked in at the front desk, and turned around to find a seat and grab a magazine.

Except there were no magazines to be found.

There were, however, lots of pamphlets on laser hair removal, botox treatments, spider vein procedures and the like. I was understandably disappointed, but sat down anyway, near the TV which was tuned into what appeared to be some sort of health infomercial. I sighed and turned toward it, every now and then scanning the room to be sure I hadn't missed something interesting to read.

I hadn't.

I had no choice but to listen to the woman on the infomercial. It turns out, she doesn't think I am very attractive. She thinks I need to have several treatments done to put my best self forward. She made several comments in the vein of ". . .even though you are beautiful, you can still be more. . .". I scanned the room to see who else was being subjected to this. To my left were two teenage girls and their mother. Thankfully, they were reading something of their own and laughing uproariously, completely oblivious to the TV's propoganda.

I sat in the waiting room for about ten minutes, and heard most of the woman's spiel. By the time I went back to my exam room, I was a little miffed. While the doctor checked my skin, I felt like saying (but did not), "I know I have spider veins, and cellulite and stretch marks. I'm sorry. I know how unattractive I must be".

The doctor himself is a very nice man, but I couldn't believe he would subject (dare I say force?) his patients to listen to and read this stuff. If anyone had a low self esteem upon entering the waiting room, he or she would certainly feel worse upon leaving! In a world where celebrities are being paraded in front of us, showing off their perfect bodies and being portrayed as the norm, we don't need to feel this way at the doctor's office as well.

It was a very disturbing message. Here is my message, (for the three of you who read this!): Love your body! God gave us these bodies and they may not look Hollywood perfect, but He loves them just the way they are.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Dear Jesus, thank you for Mommy's hair".

At least you know that your four year old thinks you have GREAT HAIR!

ccjmommy said...

I agree with you completely. Now if I was just as convinced that I am beautiful as God seems to be...but that is your whole point, is it not? Why are we not convinced of this? Because of a never ending stream of messages just like the one at this Doctor's office.....

Unknown said...

Amen, sister! I remember a very beautiful and intelligent friend (a.k.a. YOU!!) tell me that those stretch marks and spider veins were BEAUTY MARKS and MEDALS OF HONOR. We'll keep those BEAUTY MARKS as reminders of the blessings God has given us in our children.

P.S. It's me Shell. As I work for Troy this morning he said "Have you read Shelley' s Blog yet?" So there you go, my husband reads your Blog too!! (and apparently comments) Can't wait to see you in November!!!! Love you my friend!