Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Peace

Awhile ago, I read the following quote on a canvas in a friend's home:

peace
it does not mean to be in a place
where there is no noise, trouble
or hard work.  it means to be in 
the midst of those things and still
be calm in your heart.

Wow.  Those thoughts really gave me pause.  My knee-jerk reaction would be "Yes!  I agree with that! Peace is more about your mindset and heart than the actual circumstances you are living in."  But in reality, when the rubber hits the road, how often do I really feel that way?

Often, I get bogged down with the minutiae of life.  The to-do list, the never ending the laundry, the taxiing the children to and fro, the work demands, the being pulled in a thousand directions.  I often get pulled under with all noise -- arguing, singing, demanding, random noise-making children.  I get frustrated when things don't go my way or are harder than I think they need to be.  

The word peace conjures up images of beaches and sunrises.  Of solitude and prayer.  Of reflective worship.  Of easy living and relaxation.  Of harmonious family members. Of quiet.

And while those things might indeed, bring peace, they are often few and far between.  So am I only to experience peace when those (sometimes rare) events occur?  Thankfully no!  As the above quote states, true peace is being able to find peace even amidst the cacophony of life.  And even more, being able to find that inner peace enables us to create outer peace in our own lives.  As Christians, we know who provides that inner peace and we are able to embrace it in Christ!  What a gift we have been given. . .to know that Christ gives us peace! Among the loudness and busyness of our lives, Christ enters into our hearts, to give us that peace we long for.  We may not see it in white-sand beaches or beautiful sunsets or idyllic vacations or even in quiet.  But we can see it in our hearts, through faith.

One of my favorite passages as a child is one I now use as I bless my children each night.  I make the sign of the cross on their foreheads as I tuck them in and often quote this verse:

The peace of God, which passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.  Phil 4:7

May He indeed.  Amidst the noise and chaos of life, may we have true peace in Him.



What can you do to promote world peace?
Go home and love your family.
Mother Theresa



No comments: