Sunday, March 5, 2017

Grandpa's Top Ten Life Lessons

My dad is known for being goofy.  He has joked with us since we were little -- we have a priceless cassette tape of my sister, my dad and I doing silly interviews when I was ten.  He claims he can sing a song about any word we name.  When he really laughs hard, he starts to giggle-cackle.  He showed my sister and me funny parlor tricks when we were little and has continued the tradition with his grandchildren.   He used to take my sister and I on a 'scar tour' - of all the scars he had incurred in his childhood from questionable outdoor activities.  I've never seen someone have a way with rigging things up like he does - MacGyver doesn't have anything on him. He always gives the high sign from the little rascals to his grandchildren by way of greeting. He has a steady stream of (mostly dorky) jokes.  For thirty or more years, he has told us he is the world's champeen of basically every game we ever play with him. I could go on and on about his wacky sense of humor.

In keeping with this nature, recently he was talking to my eldest son about tying his tie. As if we all knew what he was talking about, he said, "That's number four on Grandpa's Top Ten Life Lessons List -- when wearing a tie, always tie a double Windsor".  No one knew what he was talking about, but after some questioning, we discovered he had been compiling a list on his phone.  We all enjoyed reading it, so I give you:

Grandpa's Top Ten Life Lessons

 1. You can never have too many bungee cords.
 2. If anyone asks what your name is, always answer:  Puddin' Tain.  Ask me again I'll tell you the same.
 3. When you arrive home, always say: Home again, home again, jiggity jig.
 4. When wearing a tie, always tie a double Windsor.
 5. When camping, the oldest person must do all the work. 
 6. When you are young and working, you do not have to be smart, just smarter than your boss.
 7. Always remember God, family and work, in that order.  Also, move this to number 1.
 8. You may have friends in life, but only family will stand by you 'til the bitter end.  Move this to number 2.
 9. Never do today what you can put off 'til tomorrow.
10. If you see a tool you don't have, buy it.  You will need it sometime in your life.

As you can see from this list, my dad is also tender hearted and puts God and family first.  He's a good man, and I am ever thankful that God gave him to me as my father.  He and my mom gave my sister and me a stable, loving, Christian childhood.  He's a hard worker, he's thoughtful and generous to a fault.  I am blessed to call him dad!



2 comments:

amyjophes said...

So sweet and funny! Great list. I never knew your dad had this goofy side.

mammamilk said...

Aww, Amy! Yes - he doesn't always show everyone, but he's a goofball! :)