Monday, January 30, 2017

Two Sheets to the Wind

Dear reader, this is going to be a short post.  I just simply have to share with you what I learned today.

Not everyone enjoys sleeping with a top sheet.

Yes.

That is what I am blogging about.  You see, I have been raising several little people who have perplexed me.  Many of my children have eschewed a top sheet and prefer to sleep with just the comforter on top of them.  This has frustrated me, because sleeping with a fitted sheet underneath you, a top sheet above you, and perhaps a blanket and then a comforter on top is just what you do, and it feels wonderful!  I have encouraged my children to do it this way, telling them that no one skips the top sheet.

Until today, when I found out that some people, in fact, never use a top sheet.  Grown ups!  I had no idea!

Sunday night, whilst shopping online at Kohl's, I discovered beautiful gray patterned percale sheets (just like mine, actually, which I blogged about here) on sale for a lovely low price.  All three boys were using hand-me-down sheets that didn't match their room, so I decided to buy them each a set.  I happily told one of my sons that he was getting new sheets, and he could now use two sheets and a comforter, "just like a real boy!" (I'm not sure why I compared him to Pinocchio -- perhaps I was high on my love of percale sheets).  He seemed less than enthused and said he would just take the fitted sheet and the pillowcase.  "But son!", I exclaimed.  "You are getting older now - you need to sleep in a bed like adults do! All grown ups sleep in a bed with two sheets!"  He didn't believe me and suggested that, perhaps, not everyone did indeed sleep with a top sheet.  I firmly disagreed.

And then this morning, somehow this topic came up with some of my colleagues and preschool parents, and my world was shattered (did I go too far there?).  As it turns out, several people in the conversation do not use a top sheet.

Seriously.  I had no idea, son.  It seems you can be a real boy and not use a top sheet.  Live and learn.

But I'm not giving mine up!

No comments: