Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Summer Days

It's August 2nd already.  Summer has flown by, as it is wont to do.  We are gearing up for school to start in a couple weeks, and for me to go back to my classroom in the next week.  It's a blur of emotions - excitement for the new school year -- with two high schoolers (how is THAT possible?), and sadness about the loss of lots of family time and sleeping in. It's been a good summer so far, and we're still soaking up the time we have left.  A few thoughts:

Over the summer, my teenage daughter discovered just how little I wear/use/have abilities to apply makeup.  She was horrified at my methods, disgusted by my lack of nice products, and shocked at the speed at which I applied what little I wore.  I'm sure I would look better if I wore more makeup, but really?  I'm 43.  I've worn little makeup my whole life, and I highly doubt I'm going to change my MO now.  Love me or leave me, baby.

My two middle boys are at camp all week.  It is sooo much quieter around here with just three kids.  It's not quiet by any means, but it's definitely different.  I'm missing them quite a bit.  I know they are having the time of their lives and hopefully not thinking of home at all.  But this mamma's heart is a bit lonesome for my handsome 10- and 12-year-olds.  I can't wait to see them on Friday and hear all their stories.  And perhaps, fill up the coasters, which are also looking a bit lonely this week:

for those of you who know my husband and are
curious about the Dunkin Donuts coffee, don't
be confused - it is my daughter's. 😊

But as I said, it's not quiet around here. No sir, that is rare.  And with the two teenagers and my little K, there is still plenty going on.  The number one thing happening is laughter.   I swear, having teens thus far has simply meant more hysterical-to-the-point-of-tears laughter.  They crack me up during almost every conversation we have.  I don't think I had any idea when all my kids were little just how much fun they would grow up to be.  Serious conversations, different perspectives, and laughter.  It's really, really good stuff. 

Speaking of little K, she is not so little anymore.  She is 7 now, and going into 1st grade.  While we were camping and doing lots of hikes and walks, I had many opportunities to watch her run and play.  And this girl is growing quickly!  Her legs seem to have grown 6 inches overnight, and her face is that of a girl instead of a chubby preschooler.  I'm trying really hard not to say things like "Time is going by too quickly" and "My heart hurts!", but it's hard not to!  

At the end of every summer, I take the kids out one at a time to have dinner and shop for school supplies.  We call them Mommy's Nights (see here and here), and I treasure them.  I have taken two kids out so far with another scheduled this week.  We work hard to carve out time with the kids one-on-one, and this is a favorite of mine.  The time spent together almost takes the sting out of the gigantic totals at the register - does our house really need two very expensive graphing calculators?  Apparently it does.

Soon it's back to homework and 5:30 alarms and sports and musicals and lesson planning.  But for the next two weeks, it's still family time and rest and togetherness.  I'll take it.

No comments: