Sunday, August 14, 2016

On High School

Tonight is the last official night of summer at our house**.  Tomorrow morning my two eldest start high school, and the rest of us follow on Wednesday.  There are a bit of mixed emotions about that fact:

My daughter is starting her junior year and knows it will be a tough year academically.  Lots of AP classes and taking the ACT and the SAT.  She will also start visiting colleges and thinking much more about college readiness.  She's ready to see her friends, but not chomping at the bit to dive into all the work.

My son is starting high school and doesn't know anyone in his class.  There are lots of grand experiences on the horizon for him, but right now it's all just brand new.  Tomorrow is a short orientation, so hopefully he can ease his way into it all a bit. I was thrilled to hear the two of them share a class together -- first period!  They professed to be horrified by this fact, but I'm going to believe that deep down they were happy. :)

Andas I contemplate tomorrow, I am in a bit of shock.  I found a picture of the two of them on their first day of school together (A's kindergarten year, M in preschool), and there was a little lump in my throat. It's hard to fully remember those two little ones, so much have they morphed into these mini adult people I love so. Though they are smiling in the picture, I know they were nervous that day about what was ahead for them, just as they will be tomorrow.

I can't wait to watch high school continue playing out (and beginning) for these two.  There are many memories to come, countless things to learn, friends to make and growing up to happen.  I know it will have hardships, but I pray the good outweighs the bad, and that in a few years, I'll pull out tomorrow morning's picture and remember that day -- when they were on the cusp of something new and exciting, just waiting for that chapter of their lives to be written.



**Well, actually, summer break for my teens ended on Friday at 3:00 pm.  I reminded them of this fact, just as my father reminded my sister and I at the end of every school break we ever had.  'You always get the weekend', he would say.  'Your vacation is over on Friday!' My commentary had the same effect my dad had hoped for with me -- groaning and general despondency.  You can thank grandpa, kids.

No comments: