Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A new era

Two weeks from today, four of my five children will be starting school for the fall.  My fifth child will be starting her preschool class the next day.

Yes, dear friends, you read that right.  I will be on my own on a regular basis this school year.  For the first time in twelve and a half years.  For 6 hours per week, not that I'm counting.

I'm a little excited.

You might be thinking I'm a terrible mother, one who does not love her children.  Not so!  I still get sweet baby K (who is obviously not a baby anymore!) for the rest of the week, and I adore spending time with her.  She is so much fun.  And I have grown accustomed to the other kids going to school everyday, so it will be a matter of settling in to the routine again.  

Several people have asked me, "What will you do with (all) that free time?"  I don't really know yet.  The idea of regular time alone is so foreign to me, that I think it will take a little figuring out.  I imagine I'll sort it out and it might include some shopping.

However, all this anticipation aside, for those of you who know me well, you know that no matter how much I am looking forward to some free time,  I will still be weepy when we leave her at school.  It is completely inevitable.  My baby!  My last child, in school!

I think I might cry all the way to the mall, where some retail therapy will ease the ache a bit.

No comments: