Monday, June 2, 2014

Changing Lanes

Yesterday was 8th grade Baccalaureate and Graduation, though my daughter still has two days of school left.  What a beautiful day it was.  Surrounded by her extended family, she received a few awards and her diploma.  I am so very proud of the young lady she has become.

But OH!  SO MANY CHANGES SO NEAR!

Since preschool ended last week, one of my kids realized that last Friday was the last day all my kids will be at our Lutheran school together.

EVER.

Oh my, oh my.  I do not, have never done change well.  So many years has this school and church been almost our entire life!  My husband works there, the children go there. . .that building has been our go-to for most everything.  And now, we are branching out.  We are sending our daughter to a nearby Catholic high school, and I'm excited about it.  Truly I am.  I think we are going to enjoy very much becoming part of the family there.

But still.  My heart is aching for the passing of an era.  Where all our kids are together.  My view in the rearview mirror of the Suburban - all my kids on the way to/from school together.  These days are very nearly over.  And my heart hurts for it.

At the same time, I am able to see past my tears and at the exciting days that are ahead.  Not long ago, I was putting a cart away at Target (why that is relevant, I can't tell you), and suddenly I was overwhelmed with the joy that is to come in our lives.  High school, college, marriage, new homes, grandchildren, careers, travel - and much more that I can't even imagine, Lord willing.  So many changes are on the horizon, and I know so many wonderful experiences are ahead.

When I graduated from high school myself, I had many of these same feelings (I told you I never handled change well - I used to cry when my parents changed the living room furniture around!).  A good friend comforted me with this verse:  "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." (Hebrews 13:8)  These words soothed my ragged emotions then, and they soothe them today as well.  No matter the changes we are experiencing, I can take solace in the fact that Christ is a beautiful constant.

No comments: