Friday, January 17, 2014

Typing 101

Back in the day, I was a speedy typist.  Not to toot my own horn (or ding my electric typewriter, as it were), but my wpm rate wasn't too shabby.  I was quick and fierce and pounded the keyboard so mercilessly that my boss in college was concerned (and probably annoyed!).  Whilst working at Target during high school and college, my boss once asked me my method for using the ten-key on the cash register, so speedy was I.  (I proudly explained my three-finger technique.)

Lest you are getting peeved at my boasting, let's fast forward to the present day.  Now, though I type fairly regularly, much of my transcribed work is done on a teeny, tiny touch screen.  Yes, the dear iPhone gets the brunt of my pounding these days.  I have a unique approach to texting, using my right thumb and my left forefinger (I had to pick up my iPhone and double-check that information just now).  My rapid-fire texting with an odd choice of digits has elicited many a question in the last several years.  Yet I feel strangely proud of my frenetic way of typing and texting.

Here is the point of this post, which I have taken my ever-lovin' sweet time to get to:  I ask an awful lot of my auto-correct.  Back in high school on my Brother GX-6750, I had to be precise with my spelling and punctuation or my wpm rate would suffer.  These days, as I zip away on my iPhone I expect miracles out of my auto-correct.  I type sloppily, assuming spellcheck will read my mind.  I get frustrated when I type some sort of drivel that includes letters in the near vicinity of the word I intend, and my iPhone doesn't quickly change it into the proper word.  Here are some zingers I have presented to my phone, only to be disappointed:

wistoom (question)
locom (loving)
twleith (reality)
shxeudle (schedule)

To be fair, here are a few whoppers where my iPhone has indeed, read my mind, as any other scenario seems implausible:

chskengw (challenge)
orhestea (orchestra)
iptoons (options)
siggeft (suggest)

Nowthat you know what IU have become, I ask you to please have compassion on my if you read my txts with a bit of confusion.  Today's technolgoy has apperntly made me sloppy and lay.  Mea cola.

**The above should read:  Now that you know what I have become, I ask you to please have compassion on me if you read my texts with a bit of confusion.  Today's technology has apparently made me sloppy and lazy.  Mea culpa.





No comments: