Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lunch Lady

It happens every summer, every extended school break.

The day is going along swimmingly - me going about my various thrilling chores around the house, the kids playing outside or reading or arguing about super duper important stuff - when SCREECH!!!  Everything comes to a halt.

The kids want lunch.

Lunch, I tell you, is the bane of my existence.  I can have dinner planned or chugging along in the crock pot, and the breakfast dishes all rinsed and in the dishwasher, but lunch!  Lunch gets me every time.

Why must they eat it?  Inquiring minds want to know.  I attempt to be quasi-creative with my lunch choices, but it usually boils down to a sandwich, fruit and chips, with the occasional mac and cheese or leftovers.  Even I could skip it, and I am a fan of meals.  And basically eating in general.

So here I am, cleaning up the lunch dishes (that most of the kids remembered to clear, at least), thinking there must be a better way.  What is it, dear reader??  I'm assuming DCFS would not approve of me skipping the entire meal, so what's a mom to do?  How do you keep 12:00 fresh and exciting?

No comments: