Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The hills are alive!

So.

I have been cast as the Reverend Mother in our community theater's production of The Sound of Music.

Opening night is only 2.5 weeks away and I haven't quite had the courage yet to blog about it all, though it is quite the big deal in our house.

I can't exactly say why I haven't blogged about it yet, but here are my best guesses:
  • I am freaked out about not doing well.
  • Because I am in The Sound of Music, I have little free time to do anything else, such as blog (and dust my living room.  Okay, fine.  That might have nothing to do with the show).
  • I am freaked out about messing up and letting everyone down.  Oh - did I already mention that?
I tried out to be a nun in the chorus and was asked to play the Reverend Mother.  Aside from the fact that she is WAY OLD and I am but a mere spring chicken, I was honored and shocked (and possibly in shock the day I got the cast list).   I debated about saying no, no, I can't possibly do that role, thankyouverymuch. I have five kids, a busy husband, and have I mentioned I haven't acted since high school?  I said as much to my husband, who told me I was crazy (in a very loving way, of course).  "Why wouldn't you go for this?  Why wouldn't you try it?"  he reasoned in his very reasonable way.

So, as you already read, I went for it.

And I have to say, it's a lot of fun.  I have actually memorized the lines and songs, and am praying fervently they will not escape me when we perform.  I am acting with some amazing people, and our director is great with lots of encouraging advice.  The vocal coach has been oh-so-helpful in teaching this old dog new tricks, since it has been in the ballpark of twenty years since I had a voice lesson.

Might I suggest you follow every rainbow, till you find your dream?  I'm kinda living one right now.

No comments: