Monday, April 18, 2011

A possible case of future failure-to-launch?

At 9:15 this evening, I went upstairs to do something, only to find my 4 1/2 year old still awake. This has been a problem lately.
I went in to tell him, again, to go to sleep. I cradled his face and told him how much I loved him.
He said, "I know how much you love me!"
I replied, "When you have kids, you'll understand how much I love you. When you're a daddy, you'll love your kids as much as I love you."
He pondered this a moment, then burst into tears, lip quivering.
"What's the matter?" I asked.
"I don't ever want to leave you! I want to live with you forever!" he sobbed.

After much cuddling and reassurance that he could stay with us as long as he wanted (within reason, my passing-by husband interjected), his tears slowly subsided.

How I love this child! His sincerity melts my heart.

I think I'll show him this post in about 18 years when I am wishing he wouldn't grow up and leave. I wonder if he will have changed his mind?

No comments: