Thursday, August 26, 2010

The end of an era

Last night my daughter slept through this night. This is BIG NEWS around here, since such activity is rare for her.

But the real news of the day (or my day, anyway), is that I am done nursing. My husband and I are going to be gone overnight soon, and I had told myself I would quit the night feeding when she slept through.

So, while I am happy that our getaway will go off without a hitch, I am sorry to see my breastfeeding days over. Nursing my wee babes has brought me so much joy over the last 10.5 years. Though we will never close the door on more children, our family feels complete now.

There is a catch in my throat as I type this. Because we have had so many children, I haven't had too many "lasts". I saved all the clothes, kept all the gear, and above all, always prayed there would be another baby coming done the line.

My darling daughter is 13 months old. She, along with her brothers and sister, are the joy of our lives. Though this is the end of an era, many new experiences are just around the corner.

I have to keep reminding myself that today.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

sigh. i can totally relate sista

mammamilk said...

I know you can! It's very bittersweet.

Anne Birdsong said...

Congratulations and (((hugs)))) on kissing your "baby" goodbye. Where have 13 months gone??!!

mammamilk said...

Anne - it seems to have gone by so quickly!

KIM :-) said...

I understand that bittersweet feeling. Although I love my boys with everything I have, I can't quite close that door and make it a permanent "no more". I just can't imgaine not having a daughter. Soooo, although the door is shut right now, it's not locked. ;-) But don't tell Larry because he thinks the door is shut, locked, and boarded up. haha :-)

mammamilk said...

Oh, Kimmie - your comment made me smile. I'm glad your door is not locked! Maybe in the future, God will have another baby in mind for you! Larry might change his mind. :)