Thursday, February 18, 2010

We've been fairly busy around here. . .

I haven't been writing much lately, as you can see. That is, in part, due to all the fair-ing we've been experiencing around here.

Two weeks ago was the Science Fair. This week it was the Learning Fair. Being a former teacher, I know the value of independent projects such as these. But, in my current role of parent, I think fairs stink. What they boil down to is a lot of research, experiments, board-assembly, report-writing, and bibliographies (can I get a collective groan for those?). I suppose I wouldn't mind my child doing any of these things, if he/she was able to do them alone. But of course, being grade-schoolers, they cannot. SO - enter Mommy.

I have done some rudimentary math (because that is all I am able to do anymore, since I no longer use my brain in a productive manner). I have determined that I am 4 years into a 14 year fair-stint. We started in 2006 and will finish in 2020. 2020!!!!! I am exhausted just thinking about it. I will be 47 (!) in 2020. Will I really have the energy poor K needs from me? The jury is out on that one.

Before it is all over, we (by "we", I mean the children, of course!) will have completed 30 projects for these two fairs. I think, in this case, recycling is perfectly conscionable. Will anyone really remember my first daughter's projects by the time my last daughter's turn rolls around? I think not.

I'm sure I won't even remember them (don't forget I have had severe brain cell loss since having children)!

No comments: