Friday, February 9, 2018

Grateful

For the last several years, our insurance company has been pushing good habits by rewarding us (with cash, Amazon gift cards, Fitbits) for working out and eating healthy etc.  The other day, I received an email that said I could receive 250 points by taking a health review on the website, so of course I did.  The questions included details about how many hours I work in a week (ummm - I'm a mom in addition to my teaching job -- is there a box for all of the hours??), how many hours of sleep I get (not enough), how many servings of fruits and vegetables I eat each day (also not enough) and the like.  I've taken similar surveys before without much thought to them, but this time, a couple of the questions caused me to reflect.

Quite a few of the questions involved my emotional state.  How many times have you felt depressed in the last month?  How happy have you been feeling? Has your daily life been full of things you find interesting?  On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with your job?  Your life overall?  Where do you see that number in 5 years?

The responses all came quickly to me. . .rarely depressed, usually happy, interesting things daily (I have kids and teach preschool!), and 9s or higher on the scales of 1 to 10.  My psychological well-being result came back as high.  

My life is far from perfect, and things bother me all the time. My kids drive me crazy (today is a snow day. . .!!), my to-do list feels endless, my job is not always easy,  I'm often weary and we've had our share of heartache.  But overall? I am incredibly happy with my life, and there is very little I would change about it. Even in the hardships we've faced, we've seen God's hand at work; forming and shaping our faith.

 I've taken these surveys before and answered in the same ways, but didn't really think much about my responses.  But this time as I whizzed through, eager to get my 250 points tallied, I slowed to reflect on how grateful I am for this life I have been gifted with.  A job I love, an amazing church family, and wonderful parents, siblings, husband and children!

Where would I see myself in five years, it asked?  We will be launching our third child off to college, leaving us with only two at home!  My eldest will have graduated and be embarking on her own adventures, which will hopefully involve marriage and giving me grandchildren!  I don't want to rush ahead to that time (indeed I want time to slow down so I can more fully savor it all!), but I pray my life in the future will continue to amaze me.  

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: