Thursday, January 11, 2018

Hidden Agenda

The week before Christmas, my eldest daughter and her friends planned a "Friendsmas" lunch during their high school lunch hour.  They were each planning to bring in something to share and have a potluck of sorts (genius, I think - and it was a great success!).

A few days before the lunch, the kids were talking about what they were going to bring.  My daughter said, "I have all my stuff hidden in our garage fridge, ready to go".

One of her friends said, "What? Why do you have it hidden??"

Another of her friends (one with 6 siblings) said, "So no one takes it before she needs it!"

Yes.  In high school, both of my children have found friends who get their lives.  In a big family, you can't leave special food out and expect it will still be there the next time you look!  They both have several friends who really understand their home life -- the volume level, the hand-me-downs, the chaos, the constant sharing, the apparent food shortage, and the effort it takes to leave the house with everyone.

The conversation between my daughter and her friends made me smile.  All family sizes are unique, and it warms my heart to know that my children have found some friends with whom they can celebrate (and commiserate with!) their many siblings.  Having only one sister myself, even I can't fully understand how it feels to have lots of siblings and the joys and frustrations that brings.  I'm glad they've found some friends with which to share those feelings.

Big families = lots of laundry, lots of noise, lots of love. . .and also lots of hidden food! 


No comments: