Saturday, May 7, 2016

Wait, what?

Recently, we had our whole family together.  Both sets of grandparents, all the aunts and uncles and cousins and our seven were gathered.  My sister and my sister-in-law, who went to college together but don't get to see each other very often, were having a conversation that went something like this:

Sis:  I've always said I could be a marine! If I had tried when I was 18, I really think I could have done it!

Sis-in-law: (looking puzzled) Hhhhmmm. . .

Sis: (feeling she should explain further) Seriously!  Dad never thought I could do it and always scoffed at it.  I know the training is rigorous, but I could have made it when I was younger.

Sis-in-law:  (looking perplexed) Umm, ok. . .

Sis:  (taking her confusion for doubt).  Well, I really think when I was about 18 I could have managed it if I had worked hard enough.


Turns out, my sis-in-law did not hear my sister say she could be a marine, but instead thought she had said she could be a mermaid.


Hey - she totally could have been a mermaid if she tried hard enough.

No comments: