Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sing Along

Not long ago, I blogged about movies that I cannot watch.  Not because they are naughty, or full of bad words, but because they are too sad.  They make me weep, cry and even sob.  You can read about them here.

After writing that, I started thinking about songs that throw me over the edge.  Not surprisingly, given my penchant for falling apart at the smallest thing, the list has several entries.  So, I give you -

Songs I Cannot Listen To Without Embarrassing Myself:

Do You Wanna Build A Snowman? (obviously)
Untitled Hymn (by Chris Rice - beautiful, beautiful!  But oh-so-emotional!)
Come For Me (by Charlie Hall - also beautiful, and was sung at a funeral of a dear friend)
That Christmas Shoes Song (the mom is going to DIE? Really??)
Various hymns that touch my heart
Tommy and Laura Were Lovers (at least, that's the beginning of the heartbreaking song my dad used to sing)
The Best of Friends (from Fox and The Hound)
What a Wonderful World (played at our reception - good memories!  But teary, often!)
Baby Mine (from Dumbo)

I'm sure there are many more that cause me to lose all control and sob, but these are the ones I can call to mind right now.  Of course, the songs that are spiritually emotional have great value.  But the rest?  I'll pass!

On the flip side, many songs make me smile and laugh - and who wouldn't prefer that?  Why would I want my insides ripped out and stomped on?  So, I present you:

Songs That Make Me Smile and Dance With Joy:

Happy - by Pharrell Williams (of course!)
The Gambler (I can't explain why, but knowing when to hold 'em just makes me happy)
Danny's Song by Kenny Loggins (". . .now I see a family, where there once was none. . .")
Walking on Sunshine
Basically anything by ABBA, The Beatles or Simon and Garfunkel
Put Your Records On
Brown-Eyed Girl
I've Got You Babe
I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)

I'm sure there are many, many more.  Thankfully, there are many more songs that make me happy!  What songs make you cry?  Please tell me I'm not alone!  And which songs make you happy??




No comments: