Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bits and pieces

Wow, so blogging in the summer is taking a back seat to our crazy summer schedule!  We have had something going every day and night for the last couple weeks.  My house is a wreck (more so than I can normally tolerate), and our schedule is out of whack.  Eek.  Tomorrow is kid swap, which means we are going to shuffle kids between grandparents and aunts and uncles.  All the kids are super pumped  to be with their cousins/grandparents.  This time it is my turn to give away everyone but my 11 year old and take in a 14 year old.  As in, I will only have two children in my house for the next 48 hours.  Wow.  I'm thinking that, in between a few fun activities for two busy young men, I am going to whip this house back into shape.  I'll let ya know how that turns out.

Today marks the ninth birthday of my "monkey in the middle" child.  Nine years ago he entered our lives in a big way!  Emergency C-section, three hour ambulance ride to the nearest children's hospital, ventilator, tubes, anxiety, fear, family, friends and faith.  This sweet child, with the happy go-lucky, laid back personality that we prayed for, has brought us untold joy.  His ready smile, his cheeks that beg to be pinched, his cuddly, loving way -- this child is a gift directly from God.  Praise God that He saw fit to give him to us!

For my son's birthday dinner, he requested popcorn chicken and mac n cheese (I made homemade to make the meal at least partly grown-up).  The boys decided to enhance our celebration by making rude armpit noises.  The youngest boy got up quickly on his chair and began shaking his tushie in the air.  Usually this behavior causes my husband and I to rapidly squelch any and all boyish fun.  Tonight, we only looked at each other and laughed.  I had tears in my eyes.  These children!  This life!  Sometimes I just have to laugh - otherwise I'll cry!


No comments: