Monday, November 12, 2012

On how to acquire a beautiful velvet box

A 40% off coupon at Family Christian Bookstore.  Valid only on the weekend, when I have multiple children.  A 25% off coupon, valid on the weekdays, when I only have one child.  

What to do, what to do?  

Calculate the difference between coupons on the item I need.  About $6.  Okay, worth it to go on Saturday, since we were going to be near the store anyway.  And bonus - I only had three children after all!

En route to store.  Reiterate the importance of not touching the many breakable things we would be encountering.  Stay close to mom and don't touch.  

At check out.  Kids have been relatively good and we have made it through the process unscathed thus far.  

Crash!  My head jerks up as I hear glass shatter into a million pieces. . .in the vicinity of one of my children.  

I step the few feet to assess the situation.  I see a beautiful velvet box sitting on a table, empty. I hold my breath as I flip it over. 

$27.99.

Sigh.  

After coupons, I have purchased a lovely burgundy box for $18.  Actually, the offending child has paid for it.  And I have to say, though many tears were shed, and sorrow and apologies expressed, that soft little box has been quite loved and cherished thus far.

But I can't quite say the whole event was worth it.  If you're in the market for an exquisite velvet box, I suggest you buy the ornament too, in the customary way.  


No comments: