Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summertime, and the living is easy. . .right??

Summertime. Lazy days, relaxing with a good book, soaking up the sun. Fewer responsibilities, less scheduling, more downtime.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

Then why is it I feel even busier than during the school year?

My children are not of the involved-in-every-sport variety, so at least we don't have lots of games and practices to attend, but somehow I feel oh so busy. I'm chalking some of it up to the simple equation:

more children in the house = more mess and less time to take care of the mess

Summertime brings the delicate balance of teaching my children how to entertain themselves, keep up with their chores, spend time reading and playing outside, while I play Nazi with the Wii, DS and television. If my children had their way, they would spend every minute glued to an electronic device until their brains simply withered away.

Sigh.

I want summertime to be fun, full of good memories. Yet my chore list looms large. Today I have decided to simply cross a few things off of the day to day attempts and leave them on the master to-do list. There will always be time to rearrange the kitchen cabinets and clean out the buffet. These lazy days of summer with my children are fleeting, and I need to take advantage of our time together.

So I announce to the blogosphere that I shall attempt to let some things go and spend more time playing and enjoying my children. I know I won't regret it.

No comments: