Sunday, July 31, 2011

Our house is not for the faint-of-heart.

This is not a new realization, exactly, but as I was cleaning up dinner tonight, I was pondering our family's daily life.

It's loud. It's crazy. It's crazy loud.

I was loading dishes in the dishwasher, humming harmony to the Transformer's theme, while all the children were organizing a dance competition and practicing their dance moves. The music was up high, the kids were yelling to each other, various kids were climbing on my husband, other kids were in my face asking when I would be done with the dishes so I could judge the contest.

And I was humming harmony quietly to myself.

How did I come to this place? I grew up with one sister, in a mostly quiet home, where dinners were civilized (read: no one discussed butts and bodily fluid, no one yelled for attention, and we all stayed seated the entire meal). In my house, there is something happening all the time. Never a dull moment. And somehow I have learned to manage, even enjoy the chaos. Usually.

No, our house is not for wimps. One has to have some courage and resolve to survive here.

The jury is still out if I'm gonna make it.

1 comment:

ccjmommy said...

Yes, we were quiet at dinner. Why are our children so much different than we were when we were kids?