Saturday, July 11, 2009

Good news!

At a party last night, I was talking to a friend who works for the hospital where I will be delivering my baby next week. She passed along some lovely information. . .I am eligible to stay for one night longer than I thought I could!

Some people are in a hurry to get out of the hospital. I am not one of them. Why, I ask you, WHY would I want to leave a place where:

- someone brings me all my meals (that I have chosen from a menu, did not shop for, prepare, and will not clean up)

- someone changes my sheets much more frequently than I do at home

- someone will bring me my baby at night when I need to nurse, and after I am finished, will take him or her back to the nursery so I can sleep

- if I have any sort of pain or concern, someone will be at my bedside at the push of a button to give me medication or advice

- there is no laundry to wash/fold/put away, no fights to break up, no meals to prepare

- I have free reign of the remote control for a TV that has many more channels than we do at home.

In short, I regard the maternity hospital stay as a vacation. Yes, it is a vacation with some pain (does that make it a paincation?), but there is also a fabulous blessing to take home afterward. I thoroughly look forward to my stay there, and was quite pleased to realize I could stay a day longer if needed!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

So nice for you. With my C-section deliveries I still needed someone in the room to take care of the baby. No nursery for us. Being on a "liquid" diet was no fun, but you're right. It does sort of resemble a strange sort of restaurant. Breakfast in bed all day long, if you will.

My prayers are with you and I hope all goes well. I can't wait to hear about child #5.

ccjmommy said...

Yes, chicken soup for breakfast is not the greatest! One more perk for your hospital vacation... awesome pain meds! Enjoy those babies while they last! And enjoy the nursery care to help you out at night... that will seem like a distant memory once you arrive home...

Rebecca said...

Ah, yes. The "mommy" pills as I like to call them. God always blessed me with a fairly easy recovery so I always had those awesome pain pills left over. Every time I get a headache, when I don't have the luxury to sleep it away, I take one and they are a life saver. I don't know what I'll do when they are gone!