At a party last night, I was talking to a friend who works for the hospital where I will be delivering my baby next week. She passed along some lovely information. . .I am eligible to stay for one night longer than I thought I could!
Some people are in a hurry to get out of the hospital. I am not one of them. Why, I ask you, WHY would I want to leave a place where:
- someone brings me all my meals (that I have chosen from a menu, did not shop for, prepare, and will not clean up)
- someone changes my sheets much more frequently than I do at home
- someone will bring me my baby at night when I need to nurse, and after I am finished, will take him or her back to the nursery so I can sleep
- if I have any sort of pain or concern, someone will be at my bedside at the push of a button to give me medication or advice
- there is no laundry to wash/fold/put away, no fights to break up, no meals to prepare
- I have free reign of the remote control for a TV that has many more channels than we do at home.
In short, I regard the maternity hospital stay as a vacation. Yes, it is a vacation with some pain (does that make it a paincation?), but there is also a fabulous blessing to take home afterward. I thoroughly look forward to my stay there, and was quite pleased to realize I could stay a day longer if needed!