Friday, July 14, 2023

25 years and counting!

This past Sunday marked the celebration of the 25th anniversary of my husband's ordination. The love that was poured out on him and our entire family was unbelievable.  From the moving service to the beautiful luncheon, the whole day was just overwhelming.  So many people worked so hard to show my husband how much he was loved, and it absolutely blew me away.  What a gift we have been given in this place.

A couple of the kids and I spoke at the luncheon, and below is what I said (give or take :).  Perhaps I'll share more of my thoughts about the day later, but for now, here is my general feeling this week:  I want to hug every member of our church that I see and tell them I love them.  I will try to refrain from doing that, so as not to humiliate my children, but that's where I'm at.  God's people are so good and we are so very thankful. 

My words from the luncheon:

I want to start off by saying that I'm not the public speaker in the family.  I prefer writing or talking to a classroom of little people.  But I couldn't let today pass without putting my fear aside and taking just a moment to share my heart a bit.  

First, I want to thank my husband.  I can't imagine being married to a more generous, loving, thoughtful, and hardworking man.  It has been a joy to walk alongside you these 27 years of marriage, with 25 of those years at Trinity.  I am in constant awe of your ability to suss out what's important and to truly focus on those things.  Despite what is generally known as a demanding vocation, you have never made me or our kids feel second best to the church; you have always prioritized our family and managed to balance everything so very well.  You never waver in doing the right thing, even when it's tiring or comes with a cost.  You always point the kids and me to Christ, and never stop challenging all of us to look to Him in every decision we make. I am incredibly grateful God chose me to be your wife, and I look forward to our future together in the next many years of your ministry.  I love you.

Second, I want to thank you, the people of Trinity.  When we came here, almost 25 years ago to the day, we were welcomed with open arms, and that has never changed in all these years.  My friends and family know that in my teen years, I always wanted to marry a pastor, but I had no real idea what ministry would be like as a pastor's wife.  I had heard all the scary stories - you won't be able to have any friends!  The church will work your husband day and night! You'll never be able to put down roots anywhere!  - but I didn't really believe it would be that way, and Trinity has certainly proven to be a wonderful place - the absolute opposite of all those dire warnings I had been given.  Over all these years and through God's grace, I have watched my husband share your joys and sorrows. I have watched him love you and care for you with all his heart.  And I have no doubt in my mind that he was able to do that because you loved us.  You have rejoiced with our family and you have cried with our family and in so doing, you have become our family. 

So today is a day we are celebrating 25 years that God has used your pastor to further His kingdom, and as his wife, I celebrate that too - I'm so blessed by his heart and the person he is.  But I also see today as a day to celebrate 25 years of Trinity as a family - a family who continues to pour out grace and generosity to all those in her midst.  You are Christ's hands and feet and we are so thankful for you - we love you so much.

No comments: