Tuesday, April 16, 2019

An Offer We Shouldn't Refuse

We've been having noon Eucharist for Holy Week, and I was able to attend today since I was off (though I work just down the hallway from the sanctuary, I can't make it down on the days I work). And wow.  I loved it.  I had already run my son to the eye doctor 25 minutes away, then 20 minutes to school, then 15 minutes back to errands for several hours, then 15 minutes back to church. The rest of the day will look much the same - shuttling kids to and fro, a rehearsal for me. . . the day is full and busy, as usual.

So to stop the crazy for a half hour and come into the peace of God's house was nothing short of beautiful to me.  I sat in the pew, breathing deeply and calming my heart.  And as I sat, the 5th-8th graders came in and I saw my middle school boys among them.  What joy to worship with fellow members as well my children, and the children of our school!  I soaked it all in.

The reading for today is from John 13, and is the story of how Jesus announced who would betray Him ("the one to whom I give the piece of bread that I dip in the dish" 13:26).  The brief meditation invited us, instead of rejecting and betraying Christ when He offers his body to us as Judas did, to accept the gift He gives us - the gift of Himself, in the very Eucharist we were about to receive.

What a gift Christ gives us in His body and blood.  As we ponder and contemplate this week on His holy sacrifice for us, I am in awe -- that He would give up His life for me.   Sinful, messy me.

Over the next several days, especially the Triduum (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday), I pray we all can truly turn our hearts away from the busyness of our lives and truly worship on our knees the God who came to our sinful earth to offer Himself to us on the cross.  I pray we humbly receive Him and the gift of eternal life He gives.




No comments: