Sunday, April 8, 2018

What's in a Name?

Naming one's children is no easy task.  As parents, we know that whatever name we give our wee little babe will be with them for life.  Should we name our little pumpkin something timeless or trendy?  Biblical or New Age?  Should we go with a family name?  Something that can (or can't) be nicknamed? Something I found on a map or heard in People magazine?

It's serious business.  Naming a person will help define who they are for oh, their entire life.  No pressure, eh?

When we chose our kids's names, we had allll sorts of discussions.  My husband threw out some whackadoodle biblical names (Maher-shalal-hash-baz??) that I quickly vetoed (you're welcome, children).  They may have had great meanings, but I didn't think my precious little one needed to be saddled with some of them.  Other times, however, I was the one who came up with a doozy that my husband nixed (i.e. Theophilus - hey it's a family name, and it can be shortened to adorable Theo!). Eventually, we chose a boy and girl name each pregnancy since we didn't find out gender until I gave birth.  We ultimately chose first names that were rich in meaning, and family middle names.

This summer, I blogged about how we came to name our third child (you can read about it here).  It was a big deal, naming him, mostly because we had to name him nine weeks early and weren't prepared! When my husband suggested the name we chose, I remember rolling it around in my mouth. . .checking it out and seeing how it felt.  And it felt right.  And now, 13.5 years later, his name still feels right in my mouth, as do all my kids' names.

Recently I heard a quote, attributed to "Billy, age 4", but I am not sure of its true origin.  This quote said so much to me about how we see our loved ones.  I remembered immediately sitting in the hospital room, "feeling" the name in my mouth, and deeming it perfect for our beloved baby.  This is the quote:

When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.
  You know that your name is safe in their mouth.

Indeed.  Regardless of why we chose their names, I hope that all my children (and husband, and friends and family) know that their names are safe in my mouth.  That their names are treasured windows into who they are as people.  That their names are precious, respected, valuable and unique, because they are precious, respected, valuable and unique.  Each of my children is unrepeatable, created by God in His image, special and like no one else.  

So what's in a name?  Everything.


I have called you by name,
you are mine.

Isaiah 43:1b


No comments: