Tuesday, May 17, 2011

reflections on mommyhood

Today was our last MOPS meeting of the year, and it was great fun. We did a program called The Golden Mommys and each mom received an award or two that reflected their personality.

As an aside, mine was "The mommy most likely to host a TV show about large families who coupon".

Obviously, they know me. That, or I am just obnoxious about saving money.

Anyway, all this mommy talk got me reflecting about my years as a mommy. Being one of the older moms in MOPS, I am experiencing several different childhood periods at once. So while being in the throes of diapers, potty training, and breastfeeding, I have also been dealing with homework, science fair projects (the horror!) and team sports. I sort of have my hand in several things at once.

When I look at some of our younger, "newer" moms, with a toddler and baby, I am taken back to my years when I was in that position. How I wish I had been involved in a MOPS group then! Though I had many mommy friends, the opportunity to come together - to recharge, learn, commiserate with each other as well as build each other up - would have been a wonderful experience for me.

My needs as a mom have changed as I've had more children and their activities have pulled me in different directions. But my need for women friends with whom I can share my mothering is still present. I'm so glad I have MOPS now, even at this late stage in my mothering career!

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I've been wanting to get involved in that, but it's so hard to fit in working full time! Maybe in the next year or two!