Tuesday, January 17, 2023

2023 Goals

 2022 was not the easiest year.  We had a fair bit of loss, disappointment, and sadness.  The year started off with challenges from the start, and it remained so throughout.  Many times during the year I thought "I hope next year is better!".

And yet, even through all the tears, frustrations, and worries, I knew God was with us.  I often prayed during those moments, "gift, gift, gift".  Even the bad parts of the year were gifts from God and I knew it.  And it helped sometimes, but sometimes it also just helped to cry, mourn, grieve, and offer it all up to God.  

As 2023 approached and I thought about the new year, I made some loose goals, one of which is to listen to a podcast of the Bible in a year, which has already been a wonderful blessing.  I also thought about a word for the year.  I tossed around a few ideas, but I kept coming back to the word I've held onto for a few years now:  fiat.  I've blogged about the word fiat (you can read it here), and everything I wrote then still holds fast today.  Among the hardships of the last year, I could always see God's hand working; I could often see the blessings coming from the challenge, and even if I couldn't immediately see it, I knew God would work it for good. 

And so I continue to pray fiat.  To pray God's will in my life -- that God, who knows far better than I what will be beneficial for me to experience and endure, will continue to bless me and my family as He sees fit.  

Our pastor's homily on Sunday centered around the phrsase "Know God and make Him known".  As I approach this coming year, being open to God's will, I will keep this in mind too.  After all, everything in the Christian life boils down to this: to know God and to grow in myrelationship with Him, and to make Him known in everything I do, to everyone I encounter. 

So no matter what curveballs I may feel 2023 brings me, I want these two prayers to hem me in: let it be unto me as God says, and to know God and make Him known.


No comments: