Thursday, December 31, 2020

Best 20 of 2020

 2020 has been quite a year, no need to point that out to anyone.  It has been full of loss, sadness, heartache, and disappointment.  We've had to lean on God's promises -- that He will never leave us nor forsake us, and that He is always ahead of us, lighting our way.  

So as this year closes out and we embark on 2021, I want to focus on the positives that came out of this year.  In no particular order, our Best 20 from 2020.


20.  Walks.  And walks and walks and walks.  Daily walks together -- bundled up at first, then late evening summer strolls and then bundled up again.  So many strolls and power walks with my family = lots of time to talk and laugh.

19. Puzzles and games! We pulled out so many of both and enjoyed the slower pace last spring and in the summer.

18.  Online shopping!  I already did a fair amount before 2020, but I gotta say, I really upped my game when I could no longer shop in person.

17.  A glass of wine while making dinner during the height of the quarantine months.

16. Seven plates for dinner.  For weeks and weeks and weeks.  We had more meals together as a family, day in and day out, than ever in the history of our marriage.

15. Doing dishes together for over two months while we had no dishwasher. The kids may not agree this falls in the "best" category, but I loved the opportunities it created.

14. Doing laundry only two days a week as in days of yore when I stayed home full time.

13. Unforeseen wisdom in an accidental toilet paper stock up in late February.  While everyone else was panicking, we were flush with TP.

12. Leggings and T shirts for months on end.

11. Our preferred method of vacationing (camping!) turned out to be the best way to vacation in 2020, especially in the UP of Michigan!  They were socially distancing before it was cool!

10. Worshiping at home.  While it isn't the preferred method at all, there were many moments of joy and beauty as the kids and I sat in our "regular" seats in the family room and faced our home altar beneath the TV.  Singing together (so loudly we couldn't hear the singers on the screen), kneeling and praying together. . .worshiping at home had its own kind of beauty for a time.

9. Videos and zooms with my students.  It was so great to see their little faces on my screen, and also to chat with their families.  I got over my angst at seeing and hearing myself on countless videos and was able to be in the moment with my little ones.

8. Listening to my boys and husband play game after game of basketball on the driveway.

7. Shadow basked in the joy of having everyone home day after day.  Or maybe he hated it and wished he could just be left alone and sleep on my bed already.

6. Hearing my children's teachers and classmates on zoom and google meet. Getting a glimpse of their classroom environments was fun.

5. Good health.  We are so grateful to have all remained healthy this year.

4. My freshman son was able to attend his first semester of college in person.

3. Saved a lot of money on gas.  Spent a lot more on groceries.  Saved a lot by not eating out.

2. Participated in numerous drive by parades and birthday parties.  Also enjoyed socially distanced extended family time outside. 

1.  Family time, family time, family time.  This is the best aspect of 2020 for me.  Like we never have before and like we never will again, our seven people were together.  And it was an unbelievable gift. 

No comments: