Saturday, December 5, 2020

A Thrill of Hope

This morning I woke up very early (of course, since it's Saturday!) and was looking through my email, when this phrase caught my eye:

A thrill of hope

It was printed on a pillow (that I considered purchasing for a few moments) and as I looked at it, I started humming the hymn and finished the phrase:

The weary world rejoices

And it really resonated with me.  Indeed, we are a completely weary world.  Being sinful, we're always weary, but I think everyone would agree that the world seems especially weary right now.  In fact, the world has never been so united in something as we are now:  weariness.

But this!  This thrill of hope!  When I read the lyric,  I shivered - a thrill!  I've heard this hymn hundreds of times before, but as I read it this morning, it took on a new meaning.  Here we are, already weary from our general sinfulness, now multiplied exponentially by covid and all the sadness and hardship it has brought to our families and communities.

But we are not without hope!  The rest of the stanza assures us:

For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn
Fall on your knees; O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born
O night, O holy night, O night divine!

For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!  During Advent, we are anticipating that new and glorious morn!  As Jesus is born in a humble stable, that tiny baby promises us (gives us hope!) of that new and glorious morn!  While we don't know how or when He will fully reveal that to us, we do see glimpses of that hope.  God gives us those moments that bring us joy and strengthen our faith all the time, we only need to be open to seeing them for what they are.  A baby's laugher, the twinkle of Christmas lights in a darkened room, a sunset over the ocean.  The anticipation of a family gathering, the sound of a summer breeze in the trees, sand beneath your feet.  The moving music of a beloved hymn, the feeling of home and family while at church, and the joy of the Eucharist and comfort of the communion of saints.

I do so believe that God stirs our hearts any number of ways.  He gives us the thrill of hope -- joy, peace and happiness at unexpected moments.  And right now, as we quietly observe Advent in anticipation of Christmas, He reminds this weary world of the of the new and glorious morn that is coming.  

A thrill of hope, indeed.






1 comment:

Henry & Judy said...

Another great blog Shelley.