Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The rising costs of education

In about 8 years, the first of our children will enter college. With four siblings behind her, the cost of higher education is staggering. I can't imagine how we will manage to pay for it all.

My children, though, are not too worried about the rising cost of education. They live their lives, blissfully unaware of the heavy financial cloud awaiting all of us. In fact, they are so unconcerned, they have decided they would like to provide a college education for others as well as themselves. How are they doing that, you might wonder?

By leaving on all the lights in our house.

Yes, you read that right. My children would like to educate all the children of the fine people who work for our electric company.

My kids find it virtually impossible to turn off a light. Our dining room, downstairs bathroom and basement are especially high on the kids' priority list. They must feel that leaving these lights on perpetually will really give all those electricians' kids' a leg up, because these three rooms could guide a ship into harbor any time of day. In fact, my poor husband is known to grumble, as we go up to bed, "Does anyone know how to turn this basement light off except me?!"

I guess I should be proud of them. They are changing the world (for those who work at the electric company, anyway), one room at a time.

No comments: