Monday, April 13, 2020

Holy Week at Home

We all experienced a unique Holy week and Easter this year.  No extended family gatherings, no community Easter Egg hunts, and no worship in our church building. This last one was the most challenging for me, as the Triduum (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and the Easter Vigil) are my three favorite days of the church year. But, among the tears and sadness at being apart from our church family, communing together, and simply being in our church, I noticed some unique blessings come from our at-home worship experiences.
  • Washing my children's feet.  On Holy Thursday, we participated in the foot washing at home, as the pastors did it in the service.  Our church does a foot washing each year, with several people going up for the washing, a sort of representation of all us.  This year, though, we were all encouraged to take part in our homes, and the result was that one of my children washed my feet; lovingly and tenderly.  After that, I was able to wash the feet of one of my boys;  giant, man feet that I don't routinely touch.  And it was lovely.  As I washed his feet, I thought of those same feet when they were small, and how I had washed them in the tub more times than I can count.  As I washed his feet, I pondered what a gift I have in serving these children.
  • For the whole week, we've had our crucifix sitting on the bench just under our TV.  It's a beautiful antique crucifix which our friend gave us last year for our birthdays.  Having it there, just under where we watched worship, was a great focal point for us at home.  On Good Friday, we had a moment during the service to venerate or adore the cross.  Each of the kids and I came up to the cross and touched it, knelt before it and prayed by it.  We do this at church each year, with the big wooden cross there, but this was different and special.  We had candles lit by the cross and the room had darkened as dusk approached.  It was very meaningful.
  • The vigil was especially poignant for me. This service is always so special to me and so moving.  Our first four children have all been confirmed at this service, and this year my youngest daughter was going to receive early communion at the vigil. During the opening songs, as the church was dark and the candles all lit, I was unexpectedly weepy.  Oh, how I longed to be in that place, surrounded by our extended family, and our larger church family.  To be singing those vigil-specific pieces while holding our candles.  I was overwhelmed with desire to be in God's house, with God's people.  But as the service continued, I settled in, once again, to the beauty of being in my house, with God's people.  And by the end of the service, as we sang the final hymn together, with gusto, I thanked God for the opportunity to worship in this way, for this time. 
  • And finally, Easter morning.  Candles lit again, water prepared for our baptismal remembrance ritual, I praised God in my heart for his great sacrifice on the cross.  Singing those time honored hymns and songs --"O death, where is your sting? O hell, where is your vicotry?" -- my heart was stirred in love for my Savior, who gave his life for mine. 
Holy Week and Easter at home, while not what I hope for in the future, turned out to be greatly moving and meaningful to me and our family.  God works through everything, and His timing is always perfect. 

Christ is risen!  He is risen indeed! Alleluia! 

No comments: